I put in 85km on the new Brooks B17 Special yesterday. I had an interesting
observation, which is that this new saddle is much stiffer and much less
comfortable out of the box than my first Special was. I remember being
shocked how my first one felt as if I had been riding it for years on the
first ride. It was so supple and fit me so well, I didn't even have a
break-in period. This one is much more like every other Brooks I've had
(B17 Narrow and Swift) - hard!

I wonder if my first Special was cut from a particularly thin or supple
piece of leather, contributing to its early demise? I also compared the
metal nose pieces and the failed saddle does indeed have a misaligned nose
piece. Whether that is from the leather stretching or was misadjusted right
from the get-go I don't know. I don't have detailed photos from when I
first purchased it to compare.

Either way, I feel pretty confident this stiffer saddle will hold up better
over time. It wasn't toooooo bad on the 85km ride, but definitely will take
some persuasion to break in.