Post event comments:  A good time was had by all.  Met Dave Carroll & his
wife @ registration but missed them at the party.  Hung out with David,
waiting for Hugh & Jim.  Found the chocolate shop, next door to Bike BBQ.
Hugh, Jm & I set out on the 50k route.  Plenty of climbing & off-roading,
plus one interesting "lug your bike down over the boulders, cross the
creek, and lug it back up the other side".  One of the caveats of a David
ride is "bring a bike that you can carry".  Jim & I chugged along a a
leisurely pace, getting to the water stop on Hwy 38 as they were thinking
about closing up.  After that it was uphill on 38 for a bit to a turnoff
that went even more uphill to 38 special which was REALLY uphill!  As in
pushing my bike most of the time for an hour.  We did lose some time at the
rattlesnake crossing, letting the snake wander off at his own pace.
Finally at the top, with commanding views of the whole area and seeing some
snow still on the upper peaks, it was all downhill to Crafton College.  By
that time Hugh had called to say he was done so Jim & I took the clue to
take a direct route back to Redlands and skip the Oakmont section.  With
the recent rains & warm days, the hills were incredibly green and lush &
the trails in pretty good shape.  I got a total of 29 miles, shy of the 35
on the route slip but "good enough".  Most of those are quality miles.

Post ride party continues to improve every year.  Lots of tables & chairs
this year, with a variety of foods & choice of beers.  I've now got my 3rd
Strada Rossa mug plus a fresh T-shirt.  Met some great people, including a
guy who did the 100 mile ride on a single speed.  Some people just love to
make a tough event even tougher.  I left as the second band was getting
going & the party seemed to be settling in for the evening.  Looking
forward to further explorations in the area.  David, heal up, get back in
shape & plan a fall ride.

doug