I use a sturdy lag ring bolt in a stud. Then a good U-lock to secure the
bike to the ring. Ring bolts are easily sourced at the local hardware
store. Or go here for super duty anchoring:

http://mobilesecurity.abus.com/eng/bike/product_categories/display/bike-anchors

The beater tarp idea is also worth doing.