On 04/04/2016 12:27 PM, Lungimsam wrote:
1.Which are better for use with fork braze ons and why? For recreational road
riding.

2. Is either just fine? I'm guessing it is but the more online stuff I read,
the more overthinking results.

Funny how before I started online bike reading everything about my bikes was
just fine.

And in fact in many ways the correct answer is they are both just fine. But, in some cases, you could make an argument that one or the other is superior. For example:

- Cantilever bosses are all pretty much the same and in pretty much the same place, so you could switch brands of brakes if you wanted to, whereas with centerpulls the brazed-on bosses are different from one brand to another and their position is different, so you're committed for live to a particular brake. Some would see that as an advantage to cantis. The standard pivot location also means there's a wider availability of off-the-shelf front racks, which maybe can save money.

- Some people find cantilever brakes to be difficult to impossible to adjust correctly. Now the fact is, "impossible" is an outright lie: there are some skilled bike mechanics (Cycles Ed, who you might have seen at the Peanut Tour or at Bike Virginia is fantastic) who can adjust them just fine, but there are many local bike shop mechanics who simply can't deal with them. By contrast, centerpulls are very easy to adjust.

- Centerpull braze on bosses are located higher up on the fork blades and seat stays, where the tubes are stiffer and more resistant to bending forces than cantilevers. This means that in those edge-and-close-to-it cases where fork blade twist under hard braking induces brake shudder centerpulls win. It also means you can use less stiff fork blades and seat stays with brazed on centerpulls, which (provided they're sufficient) is also a win. Some have argued that this also means centerpulls will always work better under very hard braking.

- Cantilever brakes can open wider, allowing a wider tire to pass through than centerpulls. In some cases, that can be an advantage.

- Centerpulls can suffer from cosine error - where a worn pad swings up past the rim brake track and contacts the tire. It doesn't take a second for the brake pad to eat through the sidewall and cause a blowout. Cantilever brakes can do the opposite, and swing down past the bottom edge of the rim and fall into the spokes. At best this results in no braking at all; at worst it can destroy the wheel. Hard call to determine which is more frequent and which failure mode is worse.

- There may be cost differences. The nicest currently available new centerpull brakes (i.e., the Paul Racer and the Compass) are not cheap. For some that may matter a great deal, although if we're talking about custom frames that cost difference probably won't amount to much of the total cost of the bike.