Hi Justin,

As usual late to the party. And a big congratulations on your
homeownership! It's a big step and in your market perhaps monumental. On
bike security et al.

Late in 2013 we had our home broken into and the thieves weren't looking
for bikes, they stole my laptop and a bunch of my wife's jewelry plus my
watches and a golden Om necklace. If my bikes had been stolen you'd have
heard my man cry across the interwebs.

The whole experience really got me into the action of securing our home so
here's what I did. We installed an alarm system and have the sign out
front. A bummer but I think valid, you make your home less attractive to
the thieves so they move on to your neighbor's home ( thieves are lazy and
want to get in and out quick) which may be more inviting. So you've handled
that part. On the garage we have a side door so I installed a security door
and have a latch bolt hasp on the garage door which I reinforced and
installed a lock like this on the garage
door. http://www.masterlock.com/business-use/product/7047.

We don't park our cars at this time in the garage so I really never open
the garage door. My wife believes working in the garage with the garage
door open displays all that you have to would be thieves so don't leave it
open and reduce the temptation. I personally don't lock the bikes together
inside the garage, perhaps I should. I also think others have mentioned
excellent advice,  fake camera outside, a quick lock through all the bikes,
recording the bikes serial #'s and pictures all good ideas.

I can't convey just how horrible it feels to have your home invaded by a
stranger! It's unnerving and does not fade quickly. If your wife has
jewlery I suggest you purchase a small safe and bolt it to the foundation.
Also most homeowner insurance doesn't cover jewelry so an additional policy
is required. I would inquire about your policies coverage regarding
bicycles as well.

What I've come to realize is that no matter what you do if someone wants
what you have they'll find a way. Which leads me to Garth's comments. I
think he means well but he get's abstract and proselytizes some or a lot.
Personally I think he's just saying that bikes are transitory objects and
as such the notion of ownership is an illusion. Frankly, that idea is what
helped us through the losses we sustained. That said, it's my wish you
don't need to experience a loss cause it stinks.

Best Regards,

~Hugh
  Los Angeles, CA