Here's hoping you heal up quick, Kevin! I once pulled my old Miyata off a
fork-mount car rack, rode about 3 miles including a steep 30+ mi/hr
descent, lifted the bike to get up the front steps and...the wheel dropped
out. No lawyer lips and bolt on axle, so I must have just slipped the wheel
in and never tightened the axle nuts. A QR at least would've given me a
visual clue after I hopped on. Sheesh!

That said, I disagree with a couple of other posters...

Michael H. wrote:

> Do not take your QR for granted.  Check it.  Make sure it is tight.
> Replace old QR's with solid new ones - Ultegra, Paul's, PW.  Yes they are
> expensive, but then so are good brakes & tires and none of us would ride a
> bike with a worn front tire or flimsy brake.

​In tens of thousands of miles, I've never had a QR loosen up or fail​. I
wouldn't hesitate to use an old QR that works smoothly, and I don't worry
about re-checking (on a bike with rim brakes, anyways). The internal cam QR
is amazingly reliable technology, in my experience.

A shy poster wrote:

> If you are in the market for new skewers I recommend Pitlocks. Might as
> well while you are at it.

​I'm not sure I'd use Pitlocks without lawyer lips. They don't clamp
anywhere near as tightly as a QR (just try one with horizontal dropouts​).
Probably fine but slimmer margin for error. I wish someone would figure out
a clever anti-theft internal cam QR (that doesn't involve turning
 the bike upside down to release).

​Again, glad you're mostly OK, Kevin. Also, if the fork's not kinked, I'd
take it by a (great) LBS or framebuilder and see if they can't just
re-align it for you. It might be fine.

Best,
joe
pdx or​