> You'll be able to easily fine tune your cockpit without messing with your
drivetrain every time. When you settle on the cockpit, you'll know if you
want to keep the downtube shifters or switch to brifters it barends.

I like your reasoning, but then I had to go research it a bit and happened
to reread Sheldon on shifters.  Regarding down tube shifters, he said,
"Once you get used to having the shift controls on the handlebars, you're
unlikely to ever want to go back."  About bar ends, he said, "Bar-end
shifters are the most versatile of handlebar-mounted shift options for use
with drop handlebars."  Strangely, I also recalled briefly owning a 1982
Bianchi Limited that I switched from bar ends to down tubes.
Unfortunately, I didn't keep it long before I upgraded to the VO Rando and
thus do not remember much about the experience.  It's certainly more to
consider, though.

> And since you won't be doing heavy touring, the Homer is the best you can
get.

I now think so also.

Thanks.

Tim