Zach

I don't know that it would be fair for me to call you "wrong".  If that's
how you wanted to understand what I did, then I wouldn't try to talk you
out of it.

>From my perspective, it was the equivalent of seeing a hat that I liked,
and buying it on impulse, because I liked it.  Did I *need* a hat?
 Probably not.  Did I *need * to run Shimano XTR brakes on my Appaloosa?
 No.  Did I *need* to change brake cable housing on my Appaloosa?  No.

I did, however, decide to upgrade the brakes on my Appaloosa, and that
decision has led to several improvements to my bicycle.  Two of those
several improvements were:

1.  New cable housing made the brakes less squishy
2.  New cable housing is reflective, further increasing my conspicuity

There are other improvements, but I wouldn't encourage people to
desperately start searching for NOS XTR brakes.  I bought them used and on
impulse for a price that I felt was too low to pass up.  I shared the story
for the entertainment of the group.  If a fellow Appaloosa owner goes and
swaps brake cable housing and finds a big improvement, while leaving the
stock brakes in place, I will be similarly entertained to hear about it.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA