Hi all,

I've been low carb high fat for about a year now, with some relapses. Lost
the 40 lbs between May and October last year, then plateaued, probably went
a bit off with and gained 10 lbs after the holidays which I've about just
lost back again in the last 8 weeks, albeit slowly and with some relapses.

7 weeks ago, I also started riding aerobically after discovering the
Maffetone method and signed up to do the 72 mile ride around Lake Tahoe
next Sunday.

During this "training period" I noticed that since I was already quite fat
adapted, I had no trouble doing my bike rides on no food in the morning,
and that ensuring I didn't exceed my Maximum Aerobic Function HR of 124
(for my sweet age) I started managing to do the longer rides I previously
couldn't do without a lot of suffering and bonking. To stay in the aerobic
base building zone, I mostly chose flat rides and on the short climbs I
couldn't avoid, slowed to a crawl. Balance training I call it.

Last Sunday, I did a 42 mile ride in just under 4 hours. This week I've
ridden twice to work and back, total of 36 miles each day, just split in
two rides. The afternoon rides home are with a very strong head/side wind,
where again, I have to slow down significantly and take it like
"meditation". Character building I call riding 18 miles with a constant
headwind.

On all these rides I only drink water, nothing else. But when I get home I
feel like I can't keep riding. Once I rest a bit I feel fine, although my
legs and my butt "feel" it.

I don't think I can do the 72 mile ride next Sunday on just water, so I'm
looking for some guidance and suggestions for how to fuel myself without
making it all sugary with gels and the traditional cycling fuels. When I
first did these long rides with Team in Training in 2005, I would finish so
bloated from all the gels I needed to take just to keep going, and also the
pace was too high for me. This time I'm riding by myself so I can control
my pace and my nutrition.

I'm also hoping that during the day of the ride, I'll somehow find a way to
ride for 7 - 8 hours. Right now, it seems impossible as my longest ride has
been 4 hours, and most of my rides are around 2 hours. Suggestions are also
welcome.

I know there is a lot of "mental" stuff needed to do these long rides, as
well as more aerobic training and losing the other 40+ lbs I'm still
carrying on me. I'm just hoping that persevering will make them truly
enjoyable, vs. fighting to just finish them.

I welcome any other tips as well regarding managing the long hours on the
saddle. Frequency of stops to stretch out, rest the butt, hands, feet,
etc.? I know I can always get bailed out if necessary, but I'm going to try
to do the whole ride.

Thanks for sharing your experience and feedback!

I'm riding my Homer. Is anyone from this list going to do the ride as well?

Best,

René