Well, I am not from there,  but I've visited on several occasions. My first
question would be weekday or weekend!? It makes a big difference! The tours and
Fishermans warf are a mad house on the weekend and going to Alcatraz could burn
up half your day.
That said San Francisco is a foodie town, so do plan on eating! China town
maybe? On Saturdays there's some vendor stalls down by the embarcadero,  a
little touristy,but also some unique local artists exhibit there. Then the
inside of the embarcadero building has been turned into a bunch of shops, most
are overpriced, but many are unique local businesses as opposed to the shops at
Fishermans Warf that all seem to sell the same crap.
One thing I enjoy doing is going to the museums there's a couple good ones
within walking distance of downtown, union station & the embarcadero.
You should key off Market Street and try to move up & down that way, the Bart
rail runs underground there, if you jump on there you can be in Walnut Creek
pretty quickly! Or ride up the hill & visit the Haight.  Whatever you do, take
the time to learn how the very efficient public transport operates, driving a
car around will just be a headache! Oh! They have bikeshare bikes there so you
might enjoy that!
Unfortunately, for a first timer a day is hardly enough (2 or 3 Maybe) once
you've been a few times a long day there can be fun though. So, think of this
as the first visit of many! Too much stuff to talk about in a short post!