I agree and I ride it frequently.  Least enjoyable part of a ride headed
north from SF.  Kinda feel it's the most dangerous part of my ride too.
 Just be mentally prepared for an especially crappy and crowded MUP
experience.  But there are some nice routes on the other side that are
worth it, kinda :p.