I marvel every time I ride my old Raleigh with the half-steps plus granny
drivetrain, also a friction wide-7 rear, 12-32
My chainrings are 46-42-26.
I have two significantly lighter bikes that are both fun to ride, a Campy
road double, and Microshift compact double that's effectively a 1x9 with
granny in reserve.
(as I've said before, this was a custom cassette to duplicate the essential
gears from the cyclotouriste triple)

But the Raleigh with the cyclotouriste has the good fixed fenders (Honjo
43mm), and is the cleanest bike to ride in all the rain we're getting this
year.
The granny is in reserve - that's what they're for, starting off on a stee[
hill, also use it for lifting the chain to drive through standing water.
What is so delightful is the function of the half-steps on the wide-7 rear
in rolling hills.  Approach any hill on the big ring and having the choice
of half-step or full step on separate shifters.

If you'd want to do this and keep your triple, use a gear chart, if it's
all below 40, you'd probably only want 3-teeth diference between your two
big rings.