On 06/02/2016 09:09 AM, Ron Mc wrote:
and it works just as well today as it ever did, with all the versatility of a compact double x10

What 10 speed cassettes are you using that are properly spaced for half-stepping? Usually anything 8 and above was designed for crossover, with gears spaced too close together to make splitting the difference worth while; what's more, getting to the half-way gear with most modern stuff would require a 2 or 3 tooth difference vs the 4 or 5 tooth difference we used to use back in 5 & 6 speed freewheel days, and I'm not even sure chainrings come in those combinations anymore.

As for a half-step arrangement with a 10 speed cassette and chainrings 2 or 3 teeth apart, I don't really see this giving you the versatility of a compact double 10. For one thing, you give up all your low gears. This is why we used to use HS+G rather than just HS, the way the racers did.

Or am I totally misunderstanding you?