Well, maybe in New Mexico the commuters are white, middle class or whatever. I
don't live there so I won't second guess you, but I seriously doubt it's any
different than here.
I will say that white middle class commuters are probably more visible.  You
don't see the others,  because by the time you are going to work their bikes
are already parked @ their job. Today on my way to work I noticed two dept.
store bikes parked @ a construction site and 2 more parked at the On the Border
restaurant just down the street.  If you want to see the REAL commuters you
have to be out around 7 in the morning or 8 at night! Otherwise,  just take a
look behind your favorite restaurant the next time you are out!