OK, well aside from your bucolic area of Albuquerque (which sounds awful sweet
compared to the one I've visited on many occasions on my nomadic travels back &
forth from Texas to Cali.) In most areas of the country including where my mom
used to live in Napa Valley low income people do the majority of the menial
tasks.  Thats not an indictment,  just the way it is and their ethnic identity
is less significant than their role in this discussion.  It's America and most
of us are a mix of something, so it's hardly worth mentioning.
It's also not relevant if it does not apply in your part of the country,
because it's true just about everywhere else.
Othering?, hmm that's an interesting view and I don't think that's exactly what
I am doing here,  no quite the opposite I think!? I DO want to be considered as
one of those guys who parks his dept. Store bike in the rack @ Walmart & I am
more than happy to have them identify with me as a fellow cyclist! Am I going
to have them over to the house for cocktails? Probably not,  but hey ya gotta
draw the line somewhere.
I think the point is (& this is lost in modern politics) that advocacy should
be about everyone,  you should not vote for or against anything or anyone based
solely on how it effects you personally,  but how it effects society as a
whole. The reality is that middle class persons (of ambiguous ethnic origin)
are and always will be a small,  but vocal group & need to consider others less
entitled in their decision making process.