Tim,
So, you're contemplating a new bike.  My $0.02 is to get a bike for the
kind of riding you do now, If you can get one that lends it self to what
you imagine your future riding will be like, so much the better. The
liveliness and sportiness of a ride comes mostly from the engine, then
probably next from the tires.The comfort of a bike comes from the tires
again, also the touch points -- saddle and handlebars. Both the VO Rando
and the Specialized AWOL comp could be set up to accommodate a variety of
preferences.

I suggest setting up the AWOL in a way best suited for your riding style.
After you figure what's best for you, you'll know which Riv suits you
best.  If you are looking for Rivish, a good place to start is with wide
tires, fenders if it gets wet, a leather Brooks saddle, and Rivish
handlebars.

I have a Rivendell Road. Road it for many years with B17 saddle, noodle
bars, friction bar end shifters, Avocet Road 28mm tires. Much to my
surprise (from the vantage point of 10 years ago) I now ride a $125 craigs
list Japanese steel bike with 38mm Compass Barlow Pass Tires (cost more
than the bike), fenders, Brooks B17 Imperial, and upright (VO Montmartre)
handlebars. I'm influenced by Jan Hein's tire research.The riding position
with drop handlebars is no longer comfortable enough for me -- although
Nitto noodle bars are the most comfortable drop bars ever. I like the folks
at Rivendell, appreciate their contributions to bike culture, and am
feinding for a Sam Hilborne (especially orange) with Albatross bars.

I suggest making your current ride work as best it can for you. Read, post
questions, experiment. Then buy your next bike. If you ride a lot, diet,
and loose 40 pounds, you may want the Roedeo. If you are anything like most
of us, I bet you will choose the HH. In any case, get a good lock. I'm
curious about the new titanium ones  <http://tinyurl.com/zjc9hea>.
Best,
Larry

http://tinyurl.com/create.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.techtimes.com%2Farticles%2F158697%2F20160518%2Fdoctors-urged-to-consider-other-depression-treatments-amid-declining-efficacy-of-antidepressant-medications.htm