Thank you all so much for your suggestions.  What a great group of
friends!  I managed to pick up a few travel guidebooks at my library the
other day.  So, with your suggestions in mind, I will spend some time
pouring through the books, studying various maps, trying to make some sense
of how I should spend my time in the big city.

I appreciate the layering suggestions.  I live in Buffalo, NY, so cold
weather is not really a concern.  However, if I leave Sacramento and its
100 degrees (I really hope that will not be the case), I'll be sure to
carry a nice, cozy Ibex top with me.

Speaking of Sacramento, I recently read something about the American River
Trail.  Anyone familiar with this trail?  My hotel is pretty near the
trail, and it does appear that bike rentals are available.  Perhaps I can
manage a ride on the trail while I am in Sacramento.

So far, I'm somewhat sold on the idea of riding the ferry from Oakland to
San Francisco.  Richard, thanks for your suggestions for things to do in
Oakland.  When I eventually do get to San Francisco, I do want to do a bit
of walking in the heart of the city.  David - I like your suggestions.
Blue Bottle Coffee at the ferry station along with some walking / eating /
shopping sounds like some fun.  If time allows, a walk / ride across the
Golden Gate Bridge and some time in the park sounds like fun.

At this point, I have moved away from a Giants game.  As much as I would
like to see the park, I hate to tie up so much time watching a game.
However, it is good to know that I can sneak a peak inside the stadium for
free.  That sounds do-able.

A trip to Rivendell still intrigues me.  I'll have to look at the train
schedules to see if I can catch a train that will get me to Walnut Creek
early in the morning.  I don't own a Rivendell.  In fact, I've only
seen/ridden one once - a test ride of a Rambouillet approximately 9 years
ago at a dealership in Burlington Vt. (the Alpine Shop, I believe).  I
ended up not buying that bike (a mistake, I now realize - I bought a custom
frame from Bob Brown Cycles instead).  Hence, I would love the chance to
see a few frames, get my PBH measured, go for a ride or two and soak up
some Riv atmosphere.  However, I need to decide how much time I can devote
to such a visit.

Another variable is that my seminar group is heading to San Francisco on a
Thursday to view the San Francisco Maritime National Park.  I don't know
how long we will be there, but my schedule says that we will also have some
free time in San Francisco that day.  Perhaps that trip will allow me to
experience a few of the "to do's" on my list, leaving me time to visit
Rivendell.

Thank goodness I have some time to think about the possibilities!

Evan - thanks for your suggestion of contacting you / the list again as I
get closer to my trip.  I'll definitely do that!

Thanks again everyone.

Sean