I agree with Bill here on all counts:

1. Personal preference for/against zip ties is what it is--personal.
2. The possibility of more than one zip tie failing at a time is extremely
unlikely, therefore making the safety argument more or less null and void.
Aesthetics is the root here.

And so, I'll add something else to this perhaps already overwrought
conversation:

How often do you (or would you) actually lay eyes on the zip ties (rhyme
intended)? If they're visible it means the basket isn't being used much,
which in turn could mean that the basket might not be necessary at all. I
should probably cut (zip) ties and throw my basket in the closet this
afternoon--but then again, the need for a basket isn't always easy
foreseeable, so utility trumps efficiency for me.

Bob