Another possibility: I am using some old Suntour stem-mounted shifters. Is
it possible they aren't able to pull enough cable to get the derailleur out
where it needs to go? If I traded them out for newer shifters could that
make a difference? I don't plan on holding on to this bike for long, so I'm
okay with used parts. Really just trying to get this thing to shift to the
big ring.

- Mike