Brian nailed it. VO fenders themselves are great, every bit as high quality
as Honjos, but the Berthoud stays are superior for the reasons Brian
mentioned. Just make sure you purchase stays in the size that's appropriate
for the width of your fenders.

For what it's worth, the very expensive Honjo fenders on my Jeff Lyon
L'Avecaise had some serious symmetry problems from the factory and required
a lot of manipulation to install correctly. One issue was that they had
twist, and the other is that the scalloped ends were not shaped
symmetrically. The curvature of the scallop on the left side of the fender
did not match that of the other side. But I've not experienced a defective
VO fender thus far, and I've installed at least a dozen sets of them on my
own and other peoples' bikes.

One thing that I do appreciate on Honjo fenders is the rounded rolled edge,
which allows you to easily snake a taillight wire. Most VO fenders have a
crimped edge which can not fit a wire.

Anton
velolumino.com