i had to go downstairs and double-check my VO rack install, i bent mine to
curve up and over the caliper and mounted it to the frontside of the fork
(between the brake), but my bike was an old one so getting it under the
fork crown would not have been possible.

this is the hazard of racks, none of them are universal plug and play, i
would hazard to guess that the VO racks fit easier on the VO frames in the
same way that the Nitto racks fit easier on Rivendells.

And as far as cost, i've seen Mark's racks trade hands here for $80-$100 so
around the price of a VO rack.