On 07/29/2016 05:13 PM, Brewster Fong wrote:

On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 10:06:51 AM UTC-7, peec...@yahoo.com wrote:

    As ANT bicycles said once upon a time: "transport, not sport".
     There is great value in riding for commutes, errands, and slow
    rides ridden just for the sake of enjoyment.  Exercise is a happy
    byproduct.  Tim Petersen

That's kind of a weird saying?! Why not sport? Yes, during the week, "transportation riding" is great. We see lots of people commuting to and from work here in SF. Hey, lots of people have *electric bikes* and commute with their children/groceries, etc. It sure beats driving a minivan! (ask me how I know!)

But on weekend, why not ride for sport (fun)?! My buddies and I like to go for nice 40 miles with lots of hills (I ride in the SF bay area and hills are a way of life) and when we have the time, as much as 80 miles! It is fun and we get tons of exercise. I have one friend who in the last 4 years got into cycling (from golf!) and has lost like 30+ pounds! He now flies up the hill and really enjoys it! Btw, he's got the latest carbon Trek with di2 and loves it. Hey, if it gets him out and riding, I'm all for it.

Further, ANT sells a touring bike. Wouldn't riding out in the country or going on a tour be a form of "sport?" Seems more sporty than transportation.

We don't really know the context in which "transport, not sport" was said. Perhaps they were referring to a purely transportation-oriented bicycle, which - let's face it - isn't necessarily the sportiest thing out there to ride. Bike share bikes are a fine example.

Capital bikeshare is a splendid addition to Metro DC's public transportation system. It's a brilliant idea. It seems as though the bikes are entirely indestructible. But certainly not my idea of "sporty," and I can hardly imagine doing a 60-80 mile ride on one of them...