My original post IS NOT which bike is better or which one is a better bang for
the buck. I truly believe every Rivendell is a wonderous machine and recognize
there's overlap between the models.

I want to know which is better for off-road riding, especially carrying some
weight, like off-road touring (but light).I think the marketing is confusing
because it says the Appaloosa is between the Hunq and the Hillborne, but is
described as a stouter choice for road touring. Clearily the Hunq is best for
off-road. The Hillborne is not described that way at all; light road touring.
Do you see my confusion or inability to pick the "best" bike when looking how
it is to be used? Besides wanting an Atlantis I see lots of people using the
Atlantis in the most variety of ways; commuting, road touring, off-road, and
off-road touring. People are religious about how perfect this bike is for them,
no matter how it's used. If I did a lot of single track and traditional
MTBing-I'd get a Hunq. I have a Saluki for road rides, hence my desire to have
a bike for off-road.

Am I just spinning my wheels?