Hi all,

I've had Paul Cantis on my Atlantis (and Hunqapillar) since I acquired
them. Paul Centerpulls on the Homer after using the original Silver brakes,
and now will have Compass brazed Centerpulls on the custom. I've also read
everything I could find, including BQ's excellent volume on brakes to
understand how to adjust these brakes properly.

The question is regarding the brakes on my Atlantis. On the front it has
the Paul Neo-Retro and on the rear the Paul Tourer. Per my education, the
Neo-Retro needs the cable yoke to be as high as possible and the Tourer as
low as possible for optimal function.

When braking, the rear Tourer brake which by design should be less
powerful, feels excellent, both in braking power and modulation. In fact, I
can brake really well with it alone, and use it primarily to slow down
prior to turns.

Braking with the front Neo-Retro feels as if it has very little power and
is very hard to stop the bike unless you press really hard. It doesn't feel
as if it modulates, it's just that it's hard to stop the wheel.

My experience before was usually the opposite, where the rear brake wasn't
enough on its own, but you had to be careful with the front.

I changed the pads on both brakes to see if that made a difference, but it
didn't.

Is there anything I'm missing? Is that just how these brakes work? I'm
tempted to switch the front Neo-Retros for a set of Tourer brakes that were
in the rear of my Hunqapillar, but am concerned I won't be able to get the
cable yoke low enough with the front rack attachment.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

René