The B17 Selects have thicker leather that doesn't stretch as easily, which
is a good thing. They still break-in and get really comfortable, just takes
more time.  Mine's about 3 years old also and I've never had to adjust the
tension, whereas I've had other late-model B17's severely deform in a
matter of months (mostly due to rain, but the select model I have gets just
as much use and sees just as much rain).

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 2:02:12 PM UTC-4, Ryan Fleming wrote:

> I have a Brooks standard on my X0-1 and 2 B-17  specials on my 2 other
> rivendells. Honestly, I do not think the B-17 standards are as durable or
> thick as they were 10 or 15 years ago

This is my impression too. I have two older B17's that are much more stout
than the current normal ones. Anyway I hope Brooks doesn't discontinue the
Select models, or I wish they would make their normal models just as good
because the B17 shape is nearly perfect for my backside.