Very interesting. What do others say about the longevity of 10 speed (or
for that matter, 11 or 12 speed) systems? (This is perhaps moot, because
your system calls for friction shifting, but I've heard quite a few say
that 10 is actually more durable than 9. Is that true?

Regarding the flat plate fd: also very interesting. I installed an
admittedly weird 26/40/44 triple on my Matthews (Long story, but involves
OCD, a lot of both road and dirt riding and a theory about a High range for
road and  Low-[er] range for dirt roads; and components at hand -- and this
may be changed eventually to a 42/26 double) and for other reasons (OCD
again, and the "*road bike* for dirt" conceit) I used Dura Ace 7410 f and
rear derailleurs and a home brew 15-30 9 sp cassette. The second of the 2
DA fds has enough throw for the Bontrager mtb crank (after I cut off the
limit tab) and shifts quite well while avoiding hitting the chain stay. (If
I go to a double, I'll have to revert to the earlier DA fd with shorter
throw).

Finally, Silvers: I disagree. They don't slip if you locktite the bolts,
and because they no longer need adjusting mid ride, I dumped the little
ring bolts and installed M4 button head bolts held in place with blue
loctite. No loosening over the long term, with both Fargo and Matthews. In
fact, I've found that the Suntours Power Ratchts slipped as readily as the
Silvers, loctite apart, and old Campy R are impossible -- they have for a
long time been notorious for slipping; again, loctite fixes the problem.
And, I never had Retrofrictions slip at all. The old Dura Ace slipped and
in any event have very limited throw; the later 7 speed indexed Suntour
ones, run in friction, don't slip and can handle 8+ if you judiciously file
the pod.

The possible problem with the Silvers is the little plastic washer which
tends to crack. Also, the Silver pods will rather easily crack if the bike
falls over and lands on one.

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 7:47 AM, Gravel & Grind Espresso + Bikes <
gravelandgr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just posted up a fairly in depth explanation of Gravel & Grind's Turkey
> Vulture gearing.  Basically it's a gearing system in search of a wider than
> commercially available gearing, with more durability and lower cost than
> contemporary gearing solutions.  Read on here
> <http://gravelandgrind.com/turkey-vulture-gearing/>.  I don't check the
> forum super often (actually rarely at best) so if you have questions about
> it, email me.  James (at) gravelandgrind (dot) com.
>
> We have this set up on a few Riv's in the shop, including my Hunq, an in
> progress customer Hunq, and an Atlantis.
>

> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-83RKt0lP0vc/V9qmQqykSmI/AAAAAAAAAZQ/SBL74vgC4G46Z0capjvrFK9-zxQuuhMiQCLcB/s1600/IMG_5920.JPG>

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
*The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a
circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and
individualities revolve. *Chuang Tzu

*Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.* *(The cross stands motionless while the
world revolves.) *Carthusian motto

*It is *we *who change; *He* remains the same.* Eckhart

*Kinei hos eromenon.* (*It moves [all things] as the beloved.) *Aristotle