On 09/15/2016 03:30 PM, Bill Lindsay wrote:
"There is a big conceptual difference between a "rest" and a "permanent
cancellation."   Something that is "resting" will at some point come
back.  That's almost certainly not what we're talking about here. "

OK, I think I understand. When you said "trouble is", you didn't mean there was any trouble. You meant to say "truth is".

I agree with you, that Rivendell models that get phased out rarely get phased back in. You surprised me by calling that "truth" a "trouble", because I know as well as you do that you won't be buying any Rivendells nor will you be handwringing over any Rivendells being discontinued. The only one I can think of is the Legolas. You can buy a nice new Legolas today, and it looks exactly like a Legolas of years ago, and there was a multi-year rest in which you couldn't buy a Legolas. They can't promote it because of that lame Tolkein estate business, but you can get it.

Misunderstandings and false assumptions can lead to disappointment when the error is revealed. I personally won't be wringing my hands over any Rivendells being discontinued, but we do see people expressing disappointment that they failed to get one of the now-gone models when it was available because they thought they could always get one later. And honestly, when I see pictures of some of the more recent double top tube Rivs with cruiser bars, I think back on or see examples of some of the "sleeping" models like the All-Rounder and the Rambouillet and I cannot help but think, what a shame.