Yesterday morning I got a call from RBW telling me my new 60cm Betty Blue
Cheviot was ready to ship. Wooho!!! I got the confirmation e-mail from RBW,
but no e-mail from UPS, which usually comes right away. This morning I
"miraculously" had a 2 hour opening in my schedule and called them at
9:00AM before they opened. Will picked up the phone, confirmed my frame
hadn't yet shipped, so I told him I'd go pick it up right away. I'm flying
to Moscow on business tomorrow evening, so the chance to get the frame,
build it up in the afternoon and take it for a ride tomorrow morning was
too good to resist.

When I arrived at RBW, I was able to also see the other two colors. They
have assembled a gray Cheviot and had an orange frame on the counter. Here
is my completely subjective evaluation:

I was very tempted by the gray frame when I saw it on the photos, but that
Betty blue is so unique, that I opted to keep it. Additionally, the Rex is
silver, so I didn't want the Cheviot to be too close to it. To my surprise,
once assembled, the gray frame sort of disappears. It's much prettier
standalone than built; you'd never look at it twice sort of feeling.
Apologies if I'm upsetting anyone, this is just my personal assessment.

The orange turned out not to be the bright orange of the original series,
but a matte dark orange, sort of "brick" orange-like. I have a weird
response to the orange frames, but I didn't like this one. I've been
attracted to bright orange frames, but feel I'll tire very quickly of the
color.

The Betty blue, enhanced by the cream, is just fantastic. I have to say
that it's much prettier than the actual Betty, which had red accents. I
haven't yet compared them side by side, as I took the Betty frame to my
office to be able to ship it from there when I sell it, but the blue
Cheviot is just incredible.

One detail that the new Cheviots have, is that the brake cable braze-ons on
the top tube were moved lower, to about a 5 o'clock position viewed from
the front. While this change may be a bit nicer for the side pull brakes,
it means it's now not possible to route the cable to run a rear Paul
centerpull. So I installed the Tektro brakes.

I also got a Chocomoose bar to test, but can't quite figure out how to
install the reversed thumbie shifters on the inside of the bar without
swapping the left for the right, and also a quick test left me a bit
"unsure" if I like them, so I installed the cockpit I had on the Betty that
I really like: Ahearne bars with the shifters on the quill of the stem.

I've just spent all afternoon building it up and am almost ready. No
fenders yet, all that work will take place when I'm back home a bit more
than a week. Will take it for a ride tomorrow morning and report back with
photos.

Oh, I'm going to run the Compass 44mm Snoqualmie tires to test. Clearance
for those tires and fenders may be a bit reduced, so I may end up running
the 38mm Barlow Pass tires. I'm running those on the Atlantis and like them
very much.

Stay tuned!

René