Very often people rotate the shifter base by 90 degrees by mistake because
the shifter has been on and off its based several times in its life and
people just lose track.

I tried that Bill.

Sounds like the shifter is shot.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep
moving.” ― Albert Einstein

http://velocipeedemusings.com/