Just to add some as a former owner of a Heron Touring:
I sold it last year for financial reasons which was the right thing to do under
my present circumstances (I still have four bikes) but miss it, a very nice and
useful bike with character. It was bought at the same time Riv launched the
Atlantis and my 61 cm had identical geometry to the first generation Atlantis.
The main difference was clearance for tires, my Heron used 700Cx35 mm Paselas
with fenders, it might or might not take 38 mm tires with fenders, but not
bigger. I went on camping tours, heavily loaded with those and found it
appropriate. I also used it as a long-distance commuter and found it very good
for that, some days I used my custom Riv (a Rambouillet clone bought before the
Rams), commuting time was the same. The more narrow chain stays permitted a
more narrow Q which I saw as an advantage.

In short: a very, very versatile bike, good for loaded touring, good for
commuting, good in town. No racer but not bad at all if you wanted a brisk pace
on the road for the pleasure of it. I think it can do anything an AHH, Sam or
Atlantis can do as long as you donĀ“t need fat tires.

Olof Stroh
Uppsala Sweden