Hello all,
I'm the new owner of the previously mentioned Heron, and also an owner of a
58cm 2TT Sam. I thought I'd drop a line and give my initial impressions
after only a couple commutes.

My attraction to the Heron was mainly the canti brakes. I live in the PNW
and commute on my Sam, my 230lbs plus gear, rain, and hills is more than I
feel the brakes on the Sam can handle. First were the long reach Tektros,
currently using Paul centerpulls which are only marginally better. On
braking, the Heron wins easily with cantis.

The frame is certainly livelier. Lighter tubing than the Sam as previously
mentioned and the Sam has a 2TT. Heron rides more like my Romulus, and the
Sam feels more planted and firmer. The geometry of the Heron I also like
better, though that's a personal preference. The front end feels like it's
a lower trail than the Sam, it has that wheel flop turn in that a low trail
bike exhibits. The Heron also tracks straighter while riding no hands. The
Sam had a tendency to wander a bit at high speed. It would move a little
left, then a little right, almost like being billowed by wind. It wasn't a
shimmy, but nevertheless it was a sensation that I didn't like. So far the
Heron tracks straight.

I'll update as I have more time on the Heron. I did really enjoy my Sam and
if it had cantis I'd still be riding it. FYI, my Sam will be up for sale in
the coming weeks after I move parts around and get settled into the Heron.
If you're interested drop me a line.

Aaron