Jim: the AM was a clubmen's (and doubtless clubwomen's) hub, with
freewheel, that had medium gaps as described -- direct, + 11.55%, - 12.5%.
I could set it up, for example, with a ~70" direct 2nd and have a 78"
high/3d and a 61" 1st/low, an excellent spread for my riding. (SA made 3
speed hubs for time trialists that were even tighter, and gave the
equivalent of a straight block, assuming your block was a 3 cog block.
There were 2, whose nomenclature I forget, but if your cruising gear was,
say, 80", they'd give you roughly a 85" high and a 75" low.)

The smart thing would be to have Chauncey add rear brake braze ons to the
gofast, but the alternative is to find a bike, or a frame, that handles
pretty much like a Rivendell road model.. I could live with 126; I just
want suggestions from people who know the Rivendell feel and can suggest
makes and models to look out for.

The more I think about this, the more it simply makes sense to spend a few
hundred $$ having the gofast altered; after all, I could still ride it
fixed, and that would remain its primary function. But as I age (61), I'm
finding it nice to have a range of gears.

(Yes, I know I could build up a derailleur bike, but I *want* a bike for
the AM.)

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 8:43 PM, Jim M. <mather...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I enjoy your "looking for hen's teeth" quests. Is this to be another
> fixie? What's an AM hub?
>
> It sounds like you want some one who is familiar with the Riv ride and is
> also old enough to have ridden a bunch of '70s bikes so they can recommend
> one that is obscure enough not to command a vintage price.
>
> My favorite older bikes are a Merckx, a 3Rensho, and a Gazelle, all of
> which, in my opinion, handle well and cost me less than $400 each. Of
> those, Gazelle is obscure enough to be relatively inexpensive for a bike
> made from 531. But my bikes are all late '70s or 'early '80s and have 126
> spacing. Your search for a 120 makes it much more difficult, especially to
> find a decent one at a non-vintage price. Bertin, Gitane, RIH (another
> Dutch maker), might be what you're looking for. There are the Swedish-made
> Crescents, some of which are 531. I'm sure there a bunch of other obscure
> brands that I don't know about too. I'd probably look for a Brit bike,
> though, but finding one at a low cost from that era will be difficult.
>
> happy huntin'
> jim m
> wc, ca

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
*The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a
circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and
individualities revolve. *Chuang Tzu

*Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.* *(The cross stands motionless while the
world revolves.) *Carthusian motto

*It is *we *who change; *He* remains the same.* Eckhart

*Kinei hos eromenon.* (*It moves [all things] as the beloved.) *Aristotle