Thank you for the replies.  The ball bearing trick sounds like a good one.
 I've been too busy to run to the hardware store but will try this as soon
as I have a chance.  In the meantime, I did take a couple pictures.

The first pic looks at the opening with the crank bolt removed.  Can see
the end of the spindle along with a little Phil grease or some other.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/pscottm/EF4C6CB6-019B-4E79-BB7A-725E784F9BAD.jpg

I applied a caliper to the square opening then held the caliper up to the
Park tool.  The second photo shows the difference in size.  The threads of
the park tool are wider than the square opening.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/pscottm/4C8C411D-6C3A-405A-92E6-D682EEC91A96.jpg