I think there is more information that hasn't been shared yet.  There is no
good reason in my mind that a CX70 front derailer can't work with a 2x8
drivetrain.  I just went out to the garage and measured a few things.

I have a 2x10 drivetrain with a CX70 front derailer on it.  The inner width
of the CX70 cage is 12.0mm.  The outer width of my 10 speed SRAM chain is
6.2mm.  There's plenty of room.  I measured the maximum width of a SRAM
PG870 chain on another bike and it is 7.0mm.  There still should be plenty
of room to fit a 7.0mm chain through a 12.0mm wide front derailer without
rubbing.

It would be easy to diagnose if I was looking at it.  At any rate, when ed
says:  "The chain keeps rubbing the side of the derailleur (CX70) even
after making adjustment to the limit screws."  Which chainring are you on,
the 40 or the 26?  Which cog are you in?  Which side of the cage is the
derailer rubbing on?  Can you see the chain rubbing on the front der?  When
you turn the appropriate limit screw, can you see the front derailer moving

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA