On 12/09/2016 11:18 AM, George Schick wrote:
"...There is no panacea when it comes to saddles..."

Amen to that.  Also, things change over time.

No kidding. I used Brooks Team Pros for close to 40 years, and B.17s for more than a dozen years with perfect satisfaction, and then one day they started to not work anymore. It wasn't the saddles that changed, either: I changed. Position didn't change, fit didn't change, but one year the saddles that felt great now started hurting around the perimeter, especially in the area where the saddle starts to narrow. Quite a shock, and quite an expense, too. I'd thought for years that the "saddle merry-go-round" was finally over for me, that I'd found the answer for life; the only major perturbation was the scare when it looked like Brooks was going out of business.

When I started leaning toward "serious cycling" back in the early 70's I road bikes that the saddle jacked way up higher than the handlebars. It more or less had to be if one wanted to stick to the popular "groupo" of the day because Cinelli bar stems were too short to allow for much vertical adjustment. So the saddles of choice were the narrower models like the Cinelli's. Things progressed that way through the mid-90's when they more or less culminated with the Selle Italia Flite, a particularly stiff and narrow model. About the time the turn of the century when the past-50 blues started playing, I discovered Grant and his various bike fitting methods and recommendations. Now I ride with the bars level with the saddle and have been using a B17 ever since - far fewer aching back and neck pains after a ride.

And certainly, major changes in fit can call for major changes in saddles.

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 7:25:29 AM UTC-6, Steve Palincsar wrote:

    On 12/08/2016 10:48 PM, Bill in Roswell GA wrote:
    > I find it a bit funny that we never hear about the Berthoud saddles
    > any more. I guess most folks realized that a Brooks/Rivet/SA is
    more
    > comfortable for most people. However, even a used Berthoud goes for
    > not much less than near new price. Would be interesting to try
    one as
    > I tend to like saddles a bit on the firm side.

    Well, let's correct that.  A few years ago B.17s and Team Pro's
    stopped
    working for me.  I'd tried a Berthoud Aspin and found it worked,
    and did
    some unsuccessful experimentation with Rivet & SA.  I tried the Rivet
    Pearl & Independence, and neither worked for me.  I bought a used SA
    from a friend, tried it and found it OK for a 30 mile ride, but then
    obtained a new one and found it bloody horrible: sharp edges at the
    sides of the saddle really cut into my thighs.  Over the course of
    the
    next three years ended up switching all six bikes to Berthoud
    saddles, 5
    Aspins and one Aravis.  In many ways the Berthoud is a big
    improvement
    over the Brooks design.  The leather is better - thicker and more
    consistent, tensioning is much easier - allen key fitting rather
    than a
    made-on nut requiring a special S-bend wrench, and the made-on bag
    attachments - moulded in eyelets and a Klickfix mount - are vastly
    superior to Brooks' metal loops (or nothing).   It takes longer to
    break
    in an Aspin than a B.17 because the leather is much thicker and
    firmer.
    Unlike SAs, Berthouds don't stretch much - at least, not the regular
    unbutchered ones; I haven't tried the newly introduced slotted
    models.

    Regarding slotted saddles: they don't always work for everyone.
     On that
    broken-in SA I never even noticed a slot was there.  Another friend
    tried that same saddle when it was on a bike, before I bought it
    and was
    inspired to buy a new one; by the time we got to the 30 mile mark
    on a
    50 mile ride she was in such pain she bought a roll of duct tape
    to tape
    the slot over.  It was acting like a lobster claw, pinching her on
    both
    sides of the area slots are intended to protect.

    There is no panacea when it comes to saddles.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RBW Owners Bunch" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rbw-owners-bunch+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:rbw-owners-bunch+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com <mailto:rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com>.