I've bought several from an ebay store located in Montreal Canada for under $200 and have nothing but good things to say about them. Clearly not a replacement for Bill Laine, but a worthwhile resource nonetheless. Also worth knowing about: if you have a question about Berthoud saddles you can contact Berthoud directly via the contact form on their web site, and they will answer you, and they speak English as well as French.

I don't think it's feasible to expect Berthoud saddles to cost $99. The leather they use is scarce and hard to get, and other than the cleverness in labor savings via automating or mechanizing part of the saddle production process seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0OeHK6sVEw and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7G5RQieccI (the latter quite short) I see zero evidence of any corner-cutting, cost-cutting or penny-pinching going on.