There is a lot going on with tire sizes, but it's so much, and is such a
combination of obvious simplicity and actual and made up complication and
opionion, that the only way to talk about it, the only way I could, would
-- well, it requires being able to type three overlapping words at a time,
or say the same out loud. If you do one word at a time (like this), it
takes you down an off-course tributary, and then it's hard to get back on
course, and it all sounds insane. It's not just tire sizes and volume and
weight, suppleness, diameter. It goes to the frame and standover, and
doesn't even stop there. It really is a three-dimensional issue that
doesn't play well in 2D language, unless you're really good at it, but so
far nobody is. It's not complicated in practical use and riding...it's gets
that way and weird only when trying to explain it. There's no magic to
anything. I have nothing figured out or under wraps, but I also don't
question or wonder about anything having to do with this. It's not a topic
to avoid or to harp on, and there's no answer-answere. Successful bikes can
have all kinds of wheel sizes. The line graph has no bumps or potholes, and
for every benefit in one way there's a corresponding and proportional
drawback in another. They're all so subtle that they go unnoticed while
you're just having a good time on the bike. You can make a case for a
monster 700C wheel on a short-wheelbase frame being master of both
singletrack hairpins and bumps, but to do that requires ignoring everything
except those two things, and inflating in your head the theoretical plusses
to the point where they seem to be real. I have nothing figured out, but I
know what I like and what works for most..until the overthinking gremlins
come. This is a general blahb...not a response to any particular comment,
just my visceral response to a topic I used to feel differently about, but
not that much.