Yes there are lots of goatheads out there. I say how good are you at fixing
flats and how much do you mind mid ride flat repair. If you are good run em as
is and patch the flats as they come along. Medium don't care slime or orange
seal is great. Hate fixing flats tire liners and some sorta sealant and you are
good to go. For what it's worth I've done the ride twice and love it! :) the
first time I had nada other than pasela tour guard tires and had one goat head
flat towards the very end of the ride. The other time I ran tire liners and had
zero flats. But the route changes so you might want to check in with ride
organizers as to what they will be running the ride through for the best
advice.