The thought crossed my mind when I saw the post. My personal decision was to
buy a different pedal from the one Riv sells (I bought those pedals from Riv a
couple weeks ago), which is something I had already discussed wanting to do
recently. I also suggested Grant might like the super-cheap pedals VP makes,
thinking he may want to carry them.

So I'm not really weighing in on whether the OP was kosher or not, just
explaining I handled the dilemma personally.