Late to the party... however, I just wanted to say that I've had my Sam for
7 years now and can't imagine not having it. It's been set up with drop
bars and albatross bars. It's had racks and bags galore, and I've had it
stripped down to ride a bit faster. It handles well both while carrying
items and riding it more as a road bike (it's not quite capable of racing
speeds - but that was never its intention). The size I have is no longer
made (so, hopefully, nothing every happens to it!), and it has 650b wheels
because it was a small size. As a female, I have struggled a bit with the
long top tube (Initially, I had an 8cm stem that was too long and ended up
with a 5cm stem in order to make it ride-able comfortably for me, but the
super short stem comes with its own kinks). I guess my bit of advice might
be to test ride, if you can, first. Since Riv sizes by PBH, sometimes (in
my opinion) a person can end up on a larger frame than s/he really wants or
is comfortable riding. I've put thousands of miles on my Sam though, so
obviously, it's hard for me to find too many negatives. I'll put it this
way, of my current bicycles, if I was forced to have just one bike, the Sam
H would be the one I'd keep.

Good luck to you in your search for a retirement bicycle! I would
definitely consider the Sam Hillborne as a possibility.