Patrick, as they say in NY, fa ged aboutit.  Don't waste your life
comparing yourself to anyone.  I remember climbing White Face Mt.  in the
Adirondacks with my son when he was maybe 13 or 14.  The climb is 4 miles
of unrelenting 14+% , without a shadow of shade.  Eventually my son came
riding back down to ask if I was OK!  All I could say (to myself) was,
"Michael, don't get your testosterone in a knot."  Every day is a gift, no
matter what we call winning or loosing.

Now my grandson can climb trees faster than me and it wont be long before
he (and my granddaughter too) will need to wait for me on their bikes.
That too will fill me with joy.

Still, I remember the pleasure of being a sneaky coyote, as my experience
overcame youth's excessive exuberance.   One night, at the end of a hi
stress week, on my way home from work, about 10 miles into the trip I
turned north for the last 6 miles into a headwind.  I had no urge to push
the pedals until two young studs in full kit & mountain bikes went by
without so much as an "on your left."  When they were 20 -30 yards up the
road it occurred to me that I could get a free pull home.  So I stood up
and sprinted to the back wheel.  Just about the time I had settled in I
realized this guy was having trouble holding his buddy's wheel.  So I
bolted around him and caught the next rear wheel.  I sat there for 5 miles
while this young fool tried to ride me off his wheel. ( I think I was on my
Trek 620 at the time)  At about that point we hit a hill that I knew better
than him.  It's about 1 1/8 miles and ever so gradually gains from 2 to
10%.  I sat on his wheel about half way up, then downshifted to the granny,
and sat up.  When I got to the top of the hill he was bent over gasping on
the side of the road.  I wished him a good evening as I slowly coasted by.

I'm not as strong as I once was, and I'm probably not smarter either, but
I'm definitely wiser.

Michael