Thanks everyone for your inputs!

Bill made a great point.   If I'm limiting myself to 42mm tire right off
the bat, what's the point of picking Appaloosa.

After reading all the opinions I've decided to start with 650bx50 and go
lower if I ever see a reason for my typical rides.

Besides, Philip made me a truly irresistible offer on brand new Schwalbe
Almotions!  Thank you Philip!