Related to "self-conscious" comments

Last weekend I was up on the mountain at the halfway up hangout spot where
most people (me too) usually sit and talk. I had my 58650B AHH with bags
front and rear, and my friend had his Bleriot. There were four or five other
riders there on normal bikes, and one guy said to us, "You made it up here
on those?"
It was a compliment to our toughness. Then he said to his friend, "THose
bikes are hard to ride. They're steel, you know. THey're HEAVY. I have a
bike like that. I love that bike--it's an old Nishiki. I keep it  in the
shed."

I never know how to respond to that, but I said, something like, "You know,
they aren't that much different, and once you put a rider on the bike, the
actual frame weight difference becomes unimportant, and we're going to ride
down on trails, so that's why we have thicker tires..."

But there's just such a huge misunderstanding about stuff.

The point is, the bikes may look fancy to you, or to us, or something, but
to most people, they look like the bikes they don't ride anymore, or the
bikes they had as a kid or something.

A Glorius, maybe not so much, but any of the others just look like
skinny-tubed obsolete technology.   I bet at least twenty riders on this
list have been told, "I had a bike like that one when I was a kid..."

No need to feel self-conscious!

Best,

Grant