"Old crap":  Wow, that's brazen.  You're a good person for not throwing 'em
out!

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery <
thill....@gmail.com> wrote:

> My shop deals in steel bikes almost exclusively. At any given time we
> have on display a selection of Rivendells, Surlies, ANTs, various
> fancy customs, and even a few truly "vintage" machines (going back to
> the 1950s and 60s). We like any number of modern bicycle technologies,
> and don't consider ourselves to be "retro-grouches", but when somebody
> walks in, they will see, among other things, steel frames (some with
> lugs), leather saddles, cloth tape, cloth/leather bags, etc, not to
> mention fenders and racks and metal water bottles, and nothing on the
> sales floor made of carbon fiber.
>
> So a couple years ago, this stereotypical group of "roadies" walked in
> (casual roadies, not the team kit types). One of them had a broken
> seatpost clamp. I inspected the broken clamp, which was stamped with a
> size, and measured the diameter at the top of the seat tube, where the
> clamp should fit snugly. The clamp was a size bigger than required,
> and to compensate for the loosey-goosey mismatch and keep the seatpost
> from slipping, the bolt had been overtightened to the point of causing
> the entire clamp to snap.
>
> While I was searching my seatpost clamp bin, the group walked around
> the small shop pawing every item within reach, and making a number of
> disdainful comments, without regard to the shop's owner (me) being in
> the same room in easy earshot. The comment that sticks in my mind:
> "look at all the old crap they have in here!" I was tempted to channel
> the Soup Nazi (no soup for you!) but decided to take the rude behavior
> in stride and get some money out of them. Despite our small size, we
> have a deeper and broader parts inventory than most shops, and it
> turns out that I had the right size clamp. They went gaga over the
> Salsa brand name, which they apparently recognized as being of
> sufficient quality (i.e. they'd heard of it). I fixed the bike and
> away they went. I had some notion that maybe I earned some new
> customers, but I'm afraid that the (then) $1500 Atlantis and
> Rambouillet frames on the wall were just "old crap" to their untrained
> eyes. It's possible that they would have registered some vague
> recognition at a mention of the name "Rivendell", or that a
> prominently displayed price tag would have impressed them, but the
> frames/bikes themselves, beautiful as I think they are, didn't seem to
> interest them in the slightest. They were into brand name recognition,
> and none of the Rivendell models are likely to be on their Bicycling
> Magazine-calibrated radar.
>

> On Jan 18, 2:27 pm, Brad Gantt <brdg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a story similar to Grant's that always makes me smile. Prior to
> > getting my first Riv., most of my road riding was done on a Ritchey
> > Road Logic w/Roll-y Poll-ys, Brooks, Nitto bar & H2O cages, Grip Kings
> > and a Baggins Banana Bag. Not a Riv but very Rivved-out. Anyway, I was
> > riding with a friend on his lovely steel I.F. in the hills above
> [...]

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

"Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something
wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym."  ~Bill Nye,
scientist guy