I used to have Cateye brand computer on my non-Riv bike (I'm only 2 months
in on a Joe A.), and found it helpful--it pushed me when I was slowing
down, for example, because I could SEE how slow I was going,  However, now
I can "know" the same thing without the computer; I feel it.

Also, it's more fun to just ride as I feel and look around than just down
to my computer.  I must admit, though, that I do turn on Strava at the
beginning of the ride and check it when I think it's time to turn around to
start home.  I have my mile markers (10 miles, 15 miles) so I really don't
need to check it if I'm on a familiar route.  Interesting in that I'm not
going any slower now, but a little faster  (OK, Strava does tell me that
and I do look at the end of the ride...)

Roberta