More money doesn't always mean a better hub, and I define an excellent
hub as one that works as intended with minimal maintenance.

FWIW, I don't own any cassette wheels, having run PW FW hubs ongoing. They
have been excellent, and I for one do prefer the independence of hub and
freewheel.

I keep thinking "one of these days" I may get a cassette wheel , and what
would I choose. so yeah I have wondered about these things just like Isaac.

I have read many "reports/reviews" of various failures with PW and even
Shimano hubs, mainly the late generation XT hubs with the aluminum axles. I
have not ran across one failure with WI hubs however.  So I guess I'd
choose between a basic Deore or LX and the WI M15. Yes I know LX are not
manufactured anymore but I do see Peter While lists he has some still and
so do others if you look around.