I have Shimano Saints on my Sam.  Also ran them on my Vaya, and currently
have some on my old MTB.  They're 4"X4", are nice and flat, light-ish, and
have the small screws for grip...just enough.

They are a little over $50, but in my opinion very worth it.  I had the
same issue with foot soreness because previous pedals were too narrow, and
these solved that problem quickly.

I also now wear a more stiff insole when I bike, which gives more
left-to-right foot support, as recommended by a biking podiatrist.