On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 6:38 PM, Garth <garth...@gmail.com> wrote:

>     And back to the topic at hand , I look at it as keeping the frames
> circulating. Frames like being ridden , to run wild, like a horse !
> Yee-haw !!!  Let 'em run, let 'em run !

I like this idea a lot, and have been practicing something along this line
via a phrase that I borrowed from fellow list member Marty (G?) whom I met
up with in-real-life to purchase a Handsome XOXO frameset - to whom I swore
that the bike in question ought to be something akin to a semi-holy-grail
bike to which he responded in kind with something to the effect that he
"practices catch and release with even the best of bikes"

I was already in possession of a Sam Hillborne at the time, that I swore
was "the best bike I'll ever own" and went on to add an A Homer Hilsen and
Romulus along his side. At the rate that I had been acquiring bikes, always
out of want vs. need, I came to an agreement with myself that I had to trim
the collection to a reasonable number and that I would not keep any bikes
that I can't or won't ride regularly. I categorized all of the riding that
I prefer to do and figured out how many bikes ought to be able to satisfy
that range of riding, comfortably, and settled on 5 bikes to do the job. So
I set out to "release" some of the "caught" bikes and identify the bikes
that satisfied a riding category but could be improved upon, and I set out
in the next phase to release those bikes.

When I acquired my Rivendells, they were all holy grail bikes for me. I
established an emotional bond with all of them. I was comforted in
releasing them with the thought that their next owner may establish the
same bond with them, and hopefully ride them as much or more than I did. It
just so happens that one of my riding needs is well satisfied by a Rosco
v2, and "I'll never get rid of it as it's not only great, it's one of only
a dozen or so..." - time will tell the truth.