I've never tried this, but wouldn't pins be somewhat redundant on a pedal with
straps? Also, wouldn't the pins make foot entrance/exit difficult? I was under
the assumption that grippy pedals with pins were made for bmx or mtb
applications where you wouldn't want straps.

I have thin gripsters on 2 bikes, and my foot does zero sliding around. I hear
you on the pulling up part, but I haven't thought about that since installing
them on the bike.