Frankly, in my case, I don't need more than, say, 5 cogs total, even for
the sort of climbing I do. Gears of 85", 75", 70", 65", and 60" would let
me ride comfortably, on pavement, on all but 1 ride in 10; and adding a
granny ring as you have would take care of that. Drop each gear by 5" and
it would be fine for my dirt riding. After all, I get around Albuquerque
just fine on my 3 fixies.

But a creeping perfectionism, philosophical and "aesthetic" as much as
practical has led me to adopt 10 cogs on my 1 derailleur bike (the
Matthews) so that I can get those tiny little 1-tooth jumps all the way
from 86" down to 44" on the big (42 t) ring (there is a 24 t bailout ring,
too). Why? Because 10 cogs are possible, and therefore it's fun in a sort
of anxious way to fretfully calculate just how perfectly adapted to my
riding I can get all 10 of them. It passes the time and it's less dangerous
than drinking or chasing women.